Re: [MacPerl] Installing modules.

At 15.19 -0400 1998.09.17, Dick Karpinski wrote:
>At Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:41 Chris Nandor wrote:
>>You probably need to change the line endings from Unix to Mac.
>>
>>If you use Stuffit Expander, you can train Internet Config to know that .pm
>>is a Perl module, and then it will be unpacked correctly and the line
>>endings will be translated properly.
>
>Wouldn't it be nice if (a wrapped?) MacPerl or Shuck automatically
>provided this kind of information exactly at the time and place that
>it is needed?  Could a generic wrapper provide that service, giving
>hints, or better handling the setup and the conversion itself?  How
>would you make the wrapper reusable?
>
>Could I afford to pay somebody to do that?

I don't think it is worth it.  It is not hard to change the linefeeds for
oneself.  It is mentioned in the book in the installation chapter.
Eventually, MacPerl might be able to read code with \015, \012, or \015\012
as the line ending, but only if it is supported in the perl core itself,
which it might be already in 5.005.

But to make a wrapper, which would not be hard, would be worse than the
real solution, which is converting the line endings: no one would use it
unless they knew what it was for, and no one who knew what it was for would
use it.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])