Re: [MacPerl] Installing modules.

At 3:30 PM -0400 9/17/98, Chris Nandor wrote:
>At 15.19 -0400 1998.09.17, Dick Karpinski wrote:
>>At Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:41 Chris Nandor wrote:
>>>You probably need to change the line endings from Unix to Mac.
>>>
>>>If you use Stuffit Expander, you can train Internet Config to know that .pm
>>>is a Perl module, and then it will be unpacked correctly and the line
>>>endings will be translated properly.
>>
>>Wouldn't it be nice if (a wrapped?) MacPerl or Shuck automatically
>>provided this kind of information exactly at the time and place that
>>it is needed?  Could a generic wrapper provide that service, giving
>>hints, or better handling the setup and the conversion itself?  How
>>would you make the wrapper reusable?
>>
>>Could I afford to pay somebody to do that?
>
>I don't think it is worth it.  It is not hard to change the linefeeds for
>oneself.  It is mentioned in the book in the installation chapter.
>Eventually, MacPerl might be able to read code with \015, \012, or \015\012
>as the line ending, but only if it is supported in the perl core itself,
>which it might be already in 5.005.

Ok, I found the problem, my Internet config had ".pm" mapped to Grafconverter.
But why is the line endings fix necessary? This is a module developed on a
Macintosh and can only be run on a Macintosh. Where do the line endings get
mucked up?

(and what is the purpose of the included "make.pl" file?

Dave Johnson[Dj]
daveamy@comcat.com or dave_johnson@ieee.org
PGP fingerprint: [EA22 8F28 7C0A 4F26 E909  1D47 5A77 6666 34FE 6ED9]