Re: [MacPerl] Installing modules.

At 16:41 -0400 98/09/17, Dave Johnson wrote:
> Ok, I found the problem, my Internet config had ".pm" mapped to
>Grafconverter.
> But why is the line endings fix necessary? This is a module developed on a
> Macintosh and can only be run on a Macintosh. Where do the line endings
>get
> mucked up?

Are you _sure_ oline endings are/were the problem?  I don't think so...

You say you had to _force_ BBEdit to open the file.  Now you discovered
that .pm was mapped to Grafconvertor.

What are/were the Type and Creator of the file?  If the type isn't TEXT,
MacPerl won't be willing to look at it.  BBEdit will, if you drop the file
onto BBEdit or tell it "Any File" in the Open dialog.

It doesn't matter what the internal line endings are if the file type is
not TEXT.

If the line endings are Unix, MacPerl will gladly open the file _for
reading and editing_.  It just won't run it.  (It will look like one long
line for editing, but it _will_ open).

I doubt this was a line ending problem; from the description... fix
InternetConfig and get a copy of a utility like FileTyper!
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~dazuma/filetyper/
---
Vicki Brown, vlb@cfcl.com        |\      _,,,---,,_
Journeyman Sourceror      ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
Scripts & Philtres             |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb      '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
P.O. Box 1269 San Bruno, CA  94066