Re: [MacPerl] .pl endings (somewhat off topic?)

At 20.49 -0400 1998.09.21, Vicki Brown wrote:
>Thus I am convinced that:
>  Perl libraries conventionally (and often) end (or ended) with .pl...
>
>However I do not agree that this statement is synonymous with
>  Only Perl libraries (did or should) end with .pl.

You do not have to be convinced.  But you would be wrong.  :-)

>> As to .plx, this is gaining popularity, and was used as the extension for
>> docs in the Win32 Perl Resource Kit (from what I was told).
>
>I'm not sure how I feel about adopting a convention spawned by "that other
>windowing operating system" ;^)

It wasn't.  To be sure, using .pl as a suffix for scripts is much more
prevalent on Windows than on any other system, but the idea for .plx grew
out of a general need for an extension to replace .pl for script.

>I'd rather hear it from Larry.

Feel free to ask.  Better yet, post it to comp.lang.perl.moderated.  I know
Larry reads that group, because I got to approve a post of his the other
day.  :-)

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])