Re: [MacPerl] Perl Standalone on a CD-ROM

At 19.20 -0400 1998.10.07, Chris Johnston wrote:
>In a nutshell I want to have Perl -- albeit limited-- run standalone on
>a CD.  In this case I am looking for a non-OS specific port of Perl.

No such thing.  Perl is a program, and all programs must be
platform-specific.  A Perl program itself is platform-specific, in that it
needs perl to run.  A Java program needs a JVM or some such thing to run.
Java and Perl programs are saved in a format these interpreters can read on
any platform type.  But perl itself is a C program, which means it is
compiled to machine code, which is different for every OS and every
hardware platform.

If perl were rewritten in Java, then you might be on your way, but it
isn't.  :-)

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])