Re: [MacPerl] StuffIt on Unix

Tim wrote:

> .sit files use the resource fork a little.  ONLY the MacOS can
> handle dual-fork files (DATA and RESOURCE).  Un*x would not be
> able to decode .sit, sorry.

Hmmm... Not sure I agree with your explanation since there are
lots of unix sites that distribute Mac software in .sit form.
I think the resource part of .sit files must be non-essential
information, FREFs, ICONs, etc.. What is true is that a file
that contained both forks before it was compressed, can't be
decompressed in a normal, meaningful way on a unix box...
unless you're running MAE or Liken (or some other MacOS savvy
emulation that handles AppleSingle/AppleDouble formats).

I do believe that a file that has only a data fork, if compressed
on a Mac could be decompressed on a unix system. One of my unix
gurus claims that he thinks he knows of a sit expander that might
run on a unix box (tenuous optimism). If he turns up the name of
the tool, I'll pass it on to Xah privately, unless others are
interested.

jay