Re: [MacPerl] MacOS 8.5 Sherlock modules (partly-baked idea)

Brian "L." Matthews wrote:
>Rich Morin writes:
>|That said, what
>|chance might there be to craft Sherlock modules in MacPerl?
>
>As I understand it, Sherlock modules aren't any kind of executable code,
>they're just descriptions of how to send a query and parse the results,
>so writing Sherlock modules in MacPerl doesn't really make sense.
>
>However, as Sherlock is really just a clever web browser, it should be
>possible to replace the Sherlock application with a MacPerl script. To

What I've been thinking for a while, and what I think Rich may be
hinting at, is a utility - written in MacPerl (naturally) - which would
automate, or at least streamline, the process of authoring Sherlock
modules.

The supertricky version could be used to deconstruct a remote website
by having Perl do most of the HTML examination for you.  The tame version
might be for webmasters who already know how their search results are
delimited.  (Such a version in platform-neutral Perl might be well
received by Sherlock authors working with single-fork OSes.)

Sounds like prime Perl Journal material to me...

-Charles Albrecht
 <albrecht@gate.net>       <http://www.gate.net/~albrecht/cv/>