Re: [MacPerl] MacOS 8.5 Sherlock modules (partly-baked idea)

At 02.41 -0500 1998.10.26, Brian "L." Matthews wrote:
>Or, I may have no idea what I'm talking about...

No, it is not a bad idea, except that Sherlock checks multiple sites
simultaneously, and MacPerl (for now) could only do one at a time.  And it
would be difficult (for me, anyway) to do a UI as nice as Sherlock's.  But
in theory, yes, this could be done (much better once MacPerl has threads).

As to creating Sherlock plugins, I thought about a module to do it, and it
would not be hard.  Probably easier to write than to read.  But it really
is not too hard to make them by hand.  Anyone who can do HTML forms can do
a Sherlock plugin.

But if one were to automate it, I would attempt to do it like so:

  * see if any of the HTML:: modules can parse out form info, and use that
  * put all hidden form elements in plugin
  * for non-hidden elements, give user a choice of providing info for the
element, making it the Sherlock input element, or leaving it out

Then, I fear, a human would have to identify the start/end points for the
lists and items.  You really would not save much by writing a program to
help you, IMO.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])