Re: [MacPerl] learning UNIX concepts

At 10.42 -0500 1998.11.12, w e b s l a v e wrote:
>>I have no problem with people like Sol and Wright writing such things.  I
>>just have a problem with them distributing them, because it makes Perl look
>>bad, and it makes Perl programmers who learn from them look bad (unless
>>what they are learning is what not to do).
>
>I guess I'd rather have them distribute them, even if they aren't that great,
>mainly due to the fact that at least it's *something!*

Something wrong is worse than nothing at all, in my opinion.  You are, of
course, welcome to your own.  :)

>Have people tried to
>let them know of their error/mistakes?

Yes.  They are regularly criticized in public, anyway, so I would imagine
they know the criticisms.

>Is bad code better than no code? I probably
>write lots of bad code, but hey, I can't help it... I'm still learning!

Everyone writes bad code, especially while still learning.  But those who
publish bad code -- and bad information -- for others to learn from are bad
for everyone.

I suppose I have little else to say on the subject.  If you like Sol's and
Wright's work, then use it.  I just felt it my duty to warn people.

>Maybe someone will come along who is as visible as these two, but writes
>great code, but until then... what to do?

There are such people.  All over the place.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])