Re: freeware scripts (was Re: [MacPerl] learning UNIX concepts)

At 11.03 -0500 1998.11.12, David Turley wrote:
>w e b s l a v e wrote:
>
>> Maybe someone will come along who is as visible as these two, but writes
>> great code, but until then... what to do?
>
>Let me think...
>
>Chris Nandor, Paul J. Schinder, Randal Schwartz, Tom Christiansen,
>Joseph Hall, Jeffrey Friedl ....
>
>All of these people are fairly visible, write pretty decent stuff and
>make it freely available. I've used all their sites to help in learning
>Perl/MacPerl. And don't forget all the O'Reilly books full of code!
>
>Mucho apologies to all I left off, but these just popped into mind right
>away. I know there are many more amongst my hundreds of bookmarks.
>
>I freely admit I am still trying to break habits learned when I used MSA
>as my "tutor" when I first started learning perl. (Notice I said
>"started", no one is "finished.")

Tom is probably the best place to start.  Check out his book with Nat, Perl
Cookbook, and then on to Tom's Scripts Archive:

    http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/Tom_Christiansen/scripts/

And Joseph Hall has a lot of great code snippets in Essential Perl
Programming.  He probably has some online, too.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])