Re: [MacPerl] beginner perl questions pls

At 2:47 PM -0600 11/10/98, w e b s l a v e wrote:

>>My main reason for wanting to learn PERL is for Web/CGI purposes.
>>I've been creating commercial Web sites for just over 4 years.
>
>I also use MacPerl for creating cgi scripts that run on other platforms,
>I wonder how many MacPerlers do this? I wonder if it would be worth
>creating an faq/web page on the subject - this is something I'm interested
>in - if anyone is interested, or wants to collaborate - email me at
>raster@execpc.com maybe we can figure something out...

	Well, you obviously have my vote.  Although, I doubt that I would
have much to contribute at this point.     ; )

	Any interest that I have in using MacPERL for reasons OTHER than
Web development/CGI is very secondary. Sure, using PERL to manipulate data,
etc. on my local drive(s) could be very valuable. However, I'm a Web
Developer - using a Mac G3, and  uploading to a UNIX-based Web servers.
	As much of a "Mac-bigot" as I am, I don't have any interest in the
whole "WebStar/Lasso/Tango" thing. I believe the UNIX is a MUCH more
flexible server OS. (Though, I'd pick Mac servers over NT without a
thought.) Moreover, the idea of being locked into a single program for CGI
(Lasso) leaves me a bit cold.

	I love my Mac, but if I couldn't use it I'd be knocking on Sun's
door before you could say "System 8.5"!   The concept of hot-swappable
hardware impresses me.    ; )

Patrick Beart

patrick@WebArchitecture.com       503-281-4147      Portland, OR
Web Architecture:   http://www.WebArchitecture.com

* Founding MEMBER *  Internet Professionals Northwest. (www.ipn.org)
* MEMBER * Webmaster's Guild/ Association of Internet Professionals