Re: [MacPerl] Copying files to Unix

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:39:45 +0000, Kjartan Benediktsson wrote:

>  Hi there!
>
>  I've been trying to copy files to a Unix computer using
>MacPerl.  So far there has been no success.  I use File::Copy
>and I am successful in copying to a computer running NT.
>$! is no help cause it is empty.

So far there has been no success because when I do ...? (I really wish the
Apple Telepathy Manager worked under 8.5, becanse it would be so nice to
be able to read minds at times.) I take it there's an Appletalk server
running on the Unix box, and you're mounting Unix disks on your desktop?
Which server, which version of the server, and which version(s) of MacOS
are you using?

The MacPerl answer is to use File::Copy. If that doesn't work, something
is wrong with the server. There have been reports of 8.5 problems with the
Appletalk server I use, netatalk. I just copied SimpleText (over a
TCP/IP/PPP/Appletalk connection over a modem), using MacPerl and File::
Copy, from my wife's G3 running 8.5 to my netatalk box. It's the same
size, and it launches and functions. Is there some size above which you
see problems, or does whatever problem you're having happen with every
file you try?

>  I also tried copying filehandles.  The resulting file on the Unix
>computer was approx. 1 Meg shorter than the original and the
>resource fork was lost.

Filehandles only work on the data fork.

>  By the way I can copy the file via the desktop.
>
>  Bye,
>KB

-------
Paul J. Schinder