Re: [MacPerl] macperl minimal install

Chris Nandor wrote:
> I have no idea how MacPerl could take
> 40MB, anyway.  My MacPerl folder takes 30MB, and I have extra docs, 6
> MacPerl binaries (including a debug SYM file), extra extensions in MacPerl
> Extensions, etc.

I'd guess it's a fairly large disk, formatted as one large HFS (not HFS+)
partition.

On a 1GB partition, formatted with HFS, Get Info on my MacPerl folder shows
21.8 MB on disk (8,507,477 bytes) for 888 items.  That's an actual size of
8308 Kbytes or roughly 8 MB, expanded by the vagaries of HFS to take up 2
and a half times the required space in apparent space.  Presuming a 3 or 4
GB internal drive...

Under HFS, anything over 1 gigabyte per partition is a _real_ space waster.
(Actually, I worked out the optimum at about 700 MB some time ago, but 1 GB
is the size of a Jaz disk :-)

Upgrade to Mac OS 8.5.1, reformat to HFS+ and be sure to upgrade Norton
Utilities or Tech Tool if you use those! But the recommendation is not to
try to throw pieces of MacPerl away as an answer to the filesystems\'s
mis-use of disk space...

- Vicki
---
Vicki Brown <vlb@cfcl.com>           |\      _,,,---,,_
Journeyman Sourceror           ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
Scripts & Philtres                  |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
P.O. Box 1269, San Bruno CA 94066  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb      http://www.ptf.com/macperl