Re: [MacPerl] Syntax Coloring in BBEdit

Vicki,

You wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean exactly when you say "and tried
> again". In which program (MacPerl or BBEdit) did you "try" and
> whatexactly does "trya agin" mean in this context (menu item you
> selected, command key combination you used, etc...).

What I mean is that I closed all windows, reopened my test file
with MacPerl, then chose the "Edit <myfile>..." command from the
"Alpha" menu (would be BBEdit menu for you). If I do this
repeatedly, I get creeping file names in Alpha...

It sounds like what you tried is close to this, but perhaps not
the same. Granted, I've probably done about as much as I can to
confuse the MacPerl - Alpha inter process handshake and maybe
BBEdit is more robust, in this way...

What really bugs me is that I can't seem to get at this invisible
folder "Temporary Items" to clear the invisible flag. I've tried
ResEdit, InvisiFile, Alpha's own "File Info..." tools, and yes...
even MacPerl (I tried a little script, but perhaps the name is
not precisely "Temporary Items"). None of these applications even
acknowledge that the folder exists... All of these still appear
to work properly for other invisible files and folders - what's
so special about this one?  The Mac's own Find File function will
find the files and report that they are in an invisible folder,
but it will not let me drag the items to the trash...

Hopefully I'll never get into this mode again, since it's outside
my normal operational parameters - but it still bugs me!

You also wrote:

> By the way, I also have BBEdit rigged so that filenames with
> no extension default to MacPerl (you can always turn syntax
> coloring _off_ for a given file but you cannot turn it _on_).

That is one nice feature of Alpha. I can go in and out of any
of the file modes, at will (there's a little popup menu). Once
I had a file that was trying to show how things were done
differently in different languages, so it had a number of code
snippets in perl, c, c++, java, and Pascal. While I was reading
through the document I could switch modes on the fly to get the
syntax coloring and other features for that mode on each code
snippet. OK, so that is rarely useful... but it does allow me to
turn on perl mode when the file I just opened doesn't have the
right suffix or turn off another mode when it accidentally has
a valid suffix for some bizarre mode...

jay