We don't need evangelism, we need democracy(was Re: [MacPerl]macCPAN)

I think that all the arguments for technical innovations are kind of
covering what should really be the main issue here.

As far as dealing with platform specific issues that make the using of
MacPerl as seamless as possible I couldn't agree more, _BUT_, and this is a
major but:

If you look at the progression of this thread the topic reflects the way
people are responding to the arguments brought forward. We're now using the
topic: MacCPAN which kind of turns full circle to what I meant in a

We are doing this ourselves.

I also lurk comp.lang.perl.misc where I see some of the names that
frequently post here appearing. In the same forum platform specific issues
are often mentioned to do with running perl on win*/NT or linux or UNIX,
but not Mac.

I don't see why MacPerl isn't part of misc perl

If the process for putting modules on CPAN is so awkward why are there so
many platform specific modules for non Unix OS's?

I think the key here is there are so many win/NT users that even if the
Unix purists don't like it they are forced into accepting the existence
there of, and _THIS_ is what we should _all_ be doing.

For whatever it is, MacPerl is part of Perl and we, and by this I mean all
the members of the list should be doing something about it. If you can't do
modules or testing make your presence felt in the _OTHER_ forums. We keep
thinking in terms of having to marginalise ourselves when we should be
forcing ourselves to be commonly accepted. So by all means let's deal with
whatever is necessary to eliminate certain grey areas caused by platform
specifics, but lets step up the pressure to get acceptance for certain
aspects of the platform spec _accepted_ by the PERL community as a whole -
including those who develop modules which are supposed to be _pure Perl_.

It isn't hard to document the differences and pit falls (like forks, back
ticks, system calls), but if we keep pushing ourselves into corners then
we'll be the only ones to know about them - I suggest compiling a FAQ to be
put into the various comp.lang.perl.* _solely_ for developers and creating
merry hell for any of the developers who don't use it. This way we can get
numbers behind us, because I'm sure there are win/NT/Linux platform
specifics which could be included and thereby guaranteeing  enough of a
concensous to force the FAQ to be used. Not preaching to the converted
isn't called Evangelism it's called democracy

Even if the Unix purists don't like unofficial FAQs they can't stop them
being posted, but we need a concerted and persistent effort for them (they
who control CPAN) to realise there is a following for the MacPerl port,
much in the same way they seem to accept the win/NT version as a necessary
if annoying addition.