Re: [MacPerl] Perl Shared Library (was Re: [MacPerl] ports and

>Crashes are more frequent under MacOS than under *nix, yes.

Another point often missed here, is that the MacOS has excellent
crash-recovery built in.  I know most people don't think of the MacOS as
reliable enough for heavy-duty server use,  Crashes may be more frequent
under MacOS than *nix, but when *nix crashes, it's more often from some
serious hardware problem (as noted by others).  Don't even bother me with
crashes under NT.

Properly configured, the Mac OS can reboot itself, load all the
previously running applications, and restore itself to the condition it
was in prior to the crash.  Not as nice as just killing and restarting
the offending app, I'll admit, but practically bullet-proof in it's own
right. Mycoinfo's webhost, Digital.Forest, past-masters of running Mac
servers, have done a sterling job providing a server which was down only
three days in the past year (while Digital.Forest was physically moving
their entire offices across town!).

>But crashes under MacOS are no more frequent with MacPerl runnning than not.
>At least in my experience.

I've only crashed once or twice under MacPerl (It was really my fault
both times). It's a whole lot more stable than say, Netscape Navigator,
which I might add crashes quite gracefully (terminates PPP when it does).
 When Word crashes, I generally get NO error message, just complete
lock-up.  Protected memory would be VERY nice, and it *IS* coming to the
MacOS.  Meanwhile, we're all rather impatient for it.

>I have seen no reason to believe that MacPerl (or anything I am currently
>running, with the possible exception of the Finder :-) could be considered
>"crashy".

<rant>

I find that the Finder itself isn't particularly crashy either.  The
problem tends to be badly-behaved applications (or badly behaved
extensions (or combinations thereof)). [Don't just complain, contact the
manufacturer and file a bug report!]  Under Unix, if an application
misbehaves it only damages itself.  One can kill the process and move on.
 The tendecy, however, is to blame the Mac OS for a badly misbehaving
program, since with proprietary source one can't just jump in and fix the
bad behavior.

Unix **is** the model OS.  Folks today bitch and complain too much.  They
can't remember what the world was like before we had an OS that was
portable to any machine that could be made to run C.  I was six in 1969,
so *I* can't recall it.  Can you imagine having to build the entire OS in
assembler, or toggle it in on the front-panel in machine code?  And have
it work?  Unix's been around in one form or another for thirty years, and
no one in their right mind considers it out-dated.  Will Mac OS X inherit
some of this power and potential.  With Mach at its heart it can't fail
to do so.  Why will Mach be at the core of Mac OS X?  Because Mach is
Avie Tevanian's brainchild, and Avie is at Apple.  Avie gave us Mach.
Linus gave us Linux. (what is it with these Finns!)

The Mac development community needs to adopt open-source whole-heartedly.
With only a short interregum, during which Unix became a commercial
product (and failed as one), Unix development has been done entirely buy
a community of its most sophisticated users.  Even when Unix went
commercial, the best tools came from Richard Stallman and the Free
Software Foundation. A vote of confidence for Matthias for the sterling
effort bringing a Unix tool as useful as Perl to the Mac. And to everyone
else for porting the best modules and ensuring that the ports find their
way back into the 'official' releases where it's appropriate.

If you're pro-Mac *AND* pro open-source, please don't knock Unix.  The
Mac will never aspire to *be* Unix, but we can take what we admire from
Unix and implement it on the Mac OS.  Apple has a habit of picking the
brains of people out here in the community when it comes to adding
features to the OS (usually because they hire them).  There are many
people on this list who use and admire (or in my case simply admire) Unix
for what it is (Kick A** multiuser/server OS, not for the learning
impaired).  We ignore some of the Mac OS' flaws because the rest of it is
so fantastic.  Ditto for Unix.

</rant>

--Brian

# Fungal Parataxonomy                   Mycology Information (Mycoinfo)
# Webmaster, Staff Writer      **The World's First Mycology E-Journal**
# <mailto:webmaster@mycoinfo.com>            <http://www.mycoinfo.com/>
# "A couple of guys trying to do something great..."