Re: [MacPerl] looking at Mac OS X

In article <mac-perl.14000.45425.625234.95611@macupo.SOMEWHERE>, Christian
Brechbuehler <brech@vision.ee.ethz.ch> wrote:

>Worse than having to reboot, files (possibly with hours of work) are
>lost.  Even if I saved them from MacPerl (or BBEdit or whatever).
>Even when in the Finder I made a copy of the saved document.  I
>suppose the Finder knew about the existence of the file(s) but didn't
>write it to disk, and then crashes along with everything when one (!)
>application makes a mistake.  The entry in "Recent Documents", which
>is only an alias and now useless, is the only trace left of my file.

That really shouldn't happen--most applications (the Finder included, I
would imagine) flush the disk cache after writing a file. If things go
missing like this, it might be that your directory structures have gotten
damaged. You might want to run Disk First Aid or something similar to
check things out--but by all means do a complete backup before you let any
of these utilities try to _fix_ anything. (I hosed my hard drive trying to
"fix" it....)