Re: [MacPerl] looking at Mac OS X

Yes, I know it's off topic, but there seem to be two camps in MAc users:

 A) The practical Mac users, who KNOW Macs crash several times a day.
This isn't improving over the years with new OS updates; the causes of
the crashes just seem to shift. Now you can crash OS8.5 by simply
opening Acrobat.
And:
 B) the Apple camp, who prefer to stick their heads in the sand and say
this can't possibly happen.

Mac users simply seem to accept it as "the facts of life". Perhaps we
shouldn't.

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:19:29 -0800, Jeff at MacTech wrote:

>Christian Bechbuehler wrote:
>>Even when in the Finder I made a copy of the saved document.  I
>>suppose the Finder knew about the existence of the file(s) but didn't
>>write it to disk, and then crashes along with everything when one (!)
>>application makes a mistake.  The entry in "Recent Documents", which
>>is only an alias and now useless, is the only trace left of my file.
>
>That really shouldn't happen--most applications (the Finder included, I
>would imagine) flush the disk cache after writing a file.

Oh it happens. Even if you have a COPY of a file on disk. It looks like
the Finder keeps a backup copy of the old version of your file. And then
the Mac breaks down. You open the file again, and bingo! All changes you
made and *saved*, have all disappeared. You have a very old copy again.
The Finder gladly overwrites your newer version with the backup, all
without one mention.

To get this slightly on topic again ( ;-): this has happened to me with
MacPerl scripts and droplets too. Even if a newer version of the droplet
has already worked, which it cannot do unless it has actually been
saved!

	Bart.