Re: [MacPerl] Re: [MacPerl-Forum] Mailing list idea

At 2:16 AM -0700 4/16/99, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>The whole reason I'm on most of my mailing lists is to participate in
>discussion. The MacPerl lists, in particular, seem to me to be those where
>one should, by default, be composing a reply for the (hypothetical)
>benefit of everyone on the list.
>
>So, for my part, the "reply to list" by default makes more sense. The
>duplicates are starting to irk me, too.

Ditto.

Just now when I hit reply (with Eudora set to reply to all) to Arved's
message, I got his and Vicki's addresses in the To: line and
macperl@macperl.org in the Cc: line. I substituted the latter for the
former to avoid the dupes. While I appreciate the perspective of those who
say that a little thought before emitting messages to hundreds (thousands!)
of people is a Good Thing, in this type of list I gave a little thought at
the outset that I was partaking in a discussion with a group of people. I
don't need to re-decide that; spare me the cycles. Think once, write many.

I have learned so much through being able to listen while others on the
list answered posted questions or carried on dialogues. And sometimes I'm
mystified when a series of notes flash by between, say, Chris and Paul, on
some code that at the moment I don't even recognize as (Mac)Perl; but at
least I know something's up, a dimension of Perl or MacPerl is about to
open to me, and my next project might hold just the challenge through which
to expand into that dimension.

Perl is an n-dimensional programming space, where n is a large number
determined by the numbers of functions and structures available. Perl
*programming* is an m-dimensional application space, where m is an
indeterminate number <= n limited by knowledge. Knowledge is a
p-dimensional mental space, where p is a recursive function of lessons,
mistakes, and corrections. Do the math.
- Bruce