Re: [MacPerl] good ISP for cgi/perl scripts

Gene Ray wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good ISP in Boulder, Colorado which allows it's users
>cgi-bin access?  I currently have a good ISP but they only allow this
>service to Businesses and Non Profits.

Check theList, http://thelist.internet.com/

I assume you mean ISPs that allow subscribers to install their own CGI
scripts. This isn't the same as getting -- and maybe paying extra for,
grrr! -- access to CGIs that the ISP provides ready-to-use.

ISPs rarely if ever allow subscribers to install scripts in the ISP's own
directory for CGI binaries (executables), usually named cgi-bin (as in
/usr/web/cgi-bin/ or closer to the root, /cgi-bin/). But many allow
subscribers to place CGIs in the subscriber's own web server space. In the
latter case, it's handy to create a separate directory in your server space
for your CGIs, but not necessary, and not necessary to name it cgi-bin or
anything else in particular. The idea that there's a 'bin' (as in
container) for scripts is a thinko, albeit an increasingly widespread one...
- Bruce

# Bruce Van Allen
# bva@cruzio.com
# Director
# WireService, an Internet service bureau
# Serving the educational and nonprofit sectors
# wire@wireservice.org
# http://wireservice.org