Re: [MacPerl] Line at a time mail client

John Baxter said many useful things and concluded with:

>We've set up a simple-minded Web access for our mail server...it is clever
>enough that it can delete messages, after showing the first few lines of
>large ones (or all of small ones) to the user.

Most people seem to be telling me not to waste my time with my
mail-processing perl script, but John's reply reinforced a nagging voice in
the back of my head saying that it may just have value.  I guess the source
of that voice is all the trouble people around me have with email despite
the fact that it should not be problematic.  (BTW, the mailspool file I was
dealing with was too large to edit with either Emacs or BBEdit, and won't
fit in my mail spool partition so I can't experiment with it.)

I'm thinking that one that works through POP3 may be a waste of time, as
there appear to be POP3 clients that can do all that is required.  Perhaps
I should focus on the cases like what I dealt with; where the only hope is
to move the file out of the mail spool and repair it off site.  Maybe two
scripts; one to properly (remove and) replace the (trimmed/repaired) spool
file, and another to work on that file.

Thanks to y'all for your helpful suggestions and I eagerly await any
further advice.  Should I go ahead, y'all will be the first to know, and it
*WILL* execute in MacPerl :-)

-David-

David Steffen, Ph.D.
President, Biomedical Computing, Inc. <http://www.biomedcomp.com/>