Re: [MacPerl] Printing to a printer?

> Are you new to the list?  We just discussed this last week.

Yes I'm now to this list I joined yesterday right before I asked.  Ifact, I
found the list looking for an answer to my question.

> First, I am not sure you can send anything but PostScript to the printer
> this way.  I know for a fact you cannot send plain text.  Printers speak
> languages, and plain text is not one of them.
>
> Second, the LaserWriter 300 doesn't exist, as far as I can tell.  :)  There
> is the Personal LW 300 and the LW Select 300.  Neither of these speaks
> PostScript, so you cannot send PostScript to them.  I do not know if you
> can send QuickDraw (the language these printers speak) directly to
> Dev:Printer the way you can with PostScript.
>
> The best way to send plain text is probably using AppleScript or Apple
> events to tell another program to print the text.  The message I sent last
> week follows.

I was actually thinking about this approach.  While I've been programming
Perl on UNIX for many years, I'm fairly new to MacPerl ( but I have been
using Macs for years and have some Mac Programming experience ).  Anyways,
This is the way I was heading, I just didn't know the details.  This will
help, Thanks!

--

-Derrik

 firebug@apk.net                   http://come.to/thefire