Re: [MacPerl] Databases (Oracle specifically)

At 17.56 -0400 1999.05.12, Vicki Brown wrote:
>At 13:29 -0500 5/12/99, Robert Pollard wrote:
>>
>> I am evaluating MacPerl as a front end to Oracle.  All indicators are
>> pointing me away.  Mainly because there is no Oracle access classes
>> available for the Mac.
>>
>> Oracle has an OCI library set.  I believe it was developed in C.  I
>> wonder if I can use this?  Oracle isn't too hip on the Mac.  They don't
>> support it at all.
>
>I've never used Oracle. (I'm largely answering to change the subject to
>something more appropriate to the question ;-)
>
>However, I do see from the Oracle web site that they offer "Personal
>Oracle7 for Macintosh ... a standalone version of the Oracle7 Database".
>
>Does anyone know if the Oracle DBD can be built for MacPerl?

I don't know, never had the chance to try.  In theory it is possible, if
the client libraries are available.  Another method is to use DBD::Proxy to
contact a daemon running DBI::ProxyServer on a Unix box that has
DBD::Oracle installed.  A third method is talking to the Mac Oracle app
with Apple events / AppleScript.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])