Re: [MacPerl] PGPLOT

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Paul J. Schinder wrote:

> At 8:35 PM -0600 5/19/99, Joseph A. DiVerdi wrote:
>
> } I am writing to ask if anyone on the list has had any experience
> } installing and using PGPLOT and to ask if there are any other data
> } plotting packages for MacPerl out there.
>
> A great deal of experience both installing and using it, but not under MacOS.

[ SNIPPAGE ]

> Yes it does.  But you're going to have to go to a significant amount of
> trouble to get it working under MacPerl.

I agree with Paul. I'd go so far as to say that if you're really enamoured
of PGPLOT + Mac, that you may wish to examine running LinuxPPC or MkLinux.

I looked at PGPLOT in connection with PDL, and realized that I would have
to run MacF2C and then a C compiler in order to approach the problem. I
consider the output of machine translators to be unreadable, so I gave
this up, anticipating potential porting which would be tough.

Other MacPerl-compatible plotting libraries? Good question.

Arved