[MacPerl] Regex replace problem

I'm new at Perl (and this list) and I couldn't find out how to do this in
the book.

I have a hash table where the keys are search patterns and the values are
the replace string, e.g.:
$my_hash{"{(.*?)}"}= '$1';

Futher down I use this in:
while (($find, $replace)= each (%my_hash)) {
    $whatever=~ s/$find/$replace/g;
}

The $find part works great, but $replace is problematic. It results in
either the string '$1' literally or the value of $1 when it was put into
the hash, not when the regex was executed.

I've tried ='$1', ="$1", ="\$1" etc. and with the 'evaluate' flag with the
regex but I can't get it to work.

Help please!

/Peder

Peder Axensten