Re: [MacPerl] OT: Printing Many Files

At 6:18 PM +0100 6/24/99, Alan Fry wrote:
>>>Matt Henderson writes 23 June 1999

>>Unfortuantely, asking the Finder to print something is exactly akin to
>>manually selecting the item in the Finder and choosing "Print" from the
>>File Menu.  It launches the application that created the document, and
>>tells the application to print it.  (I.e. sends the print AppleEvent to the
>>application in question).
>>
>>This brings up whatever print dialog box the application ususally brings up.
>
>No, definitely not. I checked the script before sending the e-mail. Files
>in the folder are printed with no dialog boxes coming up at all. True.
>Really.

Umm.  I think we're seeing different things, then.

Because what I described is what happened when I tried the script.

Now, granted, when I tried it I modified the script to print a single file
rather than the contents of a folder.

Ahh.  Got it figured out now.  It's specific to BBEdit.  BBEdit *will*
print without putting up a dialog box - but many many other things will
not.  So, for the specific question, you're correct.  For the more general
case, it's not safe to assume.  But - that's the general case anyway "It's
not safe to assume" :-)

>This is with MacOS 8.5 BTW -- I'm not sure what the state of affairs is
>with earlier verions of AppleScript.

I wouldn't know either.  I'm running a later version of AppleScript, under
8.6.

>>P.S. is there a better list for this discussion - since we both think it's
>>OT for the macperl list?
>
>Maybe, but this is just the sort of thing that does crop up quite
>frequently in a MacPerlish environment.

True.  I was just soliciting opinions from the peanut gallery.

-Jeff Lowrey