[MacPerl] Re: CPAN and glue problems

I reinstalled everything CPAN-connected and got cpan-mac to work, more
or less,at a place with an ethernet link to the `net. I still got some
of the same warnings, and gzopen still didn't work (in a get command
in CPAN-shell.plx). I still also got the Types.pm warning, but it
doesnt seem to do anything. The GZip stuff I imagine is a lib/@INC or
use problem I will have to edit around.

As for glue, also by Chris Nandor, I had much better luck 2nd time
around. I reinstalled it and then edited both gluedialect and
gluescript additions, mainly to add use Mac:Gestalt; to both. The
scripting additions gave me a tying error which seemed like a
difference in DB loading and was scary, but it made both the "English
Dialect" glue and pod and (most of) the Scripting Additions glues and
pods. Furthermore i was able to empty the trash with a perl script
calling the finder as an object, so I would say glue works for me
now. Furthermore, for alpha code it's pretty godlike.

I suspect much of my problem was accepting the "r" recommendations on
cpan-shell. The CPAN I installed screwed up CPAN-shell impressively,
and the Mac::APpleEvents-Simple did the same for Mac::Glue/gluemac.

I also think one might have to pick the order of one's "urllist" with
care so that the ones that have the more up-to-date mods are searched
first. It's likely I installed a 0.6 AppleEvents-Simple over a 0.71
provided by glue62299, using cpan (and MacGZip and installme.plx).

MD