Re: [MacPerl] Any shareware advice ?

At 9:13 AM -0400 1999-06-27, Chris Nandor wrote:
>At 1.27 -0400 1999.06.27, Max_Harper@veritasdgc.com wrote:
>>     My plan is to write some shareware for the Mac.  The sort of stuff
>>where you write some code and then charge a few dollars for a registration
>>fee ?  Can anyone offer me any advice on this ?  If you know where there is
>>a forum for this sort of thing, or if you have written some yourself, what
>>were your experiences ?
>
>My advice is to give your software away, like most people in the Perl
>community do.  :)

This brings up a question that's been bugging me:  Why do we in the Mac
community generally limit our gifts of free software to the domain of
scripting?  Granted, some of the code I've seen posted here resembles C or
Pascal Mac applications written in Perl, but it seems to me that if there's
an easy way to distribute something without the source, we usually do it.
There are the rare exceptions:  NewsWatcher, but its license has allowed
exactly the result that RMS warned us about -- multiple competing
closed-source offspring.  The free software on the Mac that I'm aware of is
limited to ports of unix tools.  MacPerl is a godsend, of course, but what
free, wide-audience Mac applications are there?  Glypha (a Joust
play-alike) comes to mind (not sure about license), but we're talking a
rare exception here.

I'd be delighted if someone contradicted me on this.  In the meantime, I'm
working on a number of projects, including an application framework (C++)
to make things easier for developers who'd like to write Mac apps but
haven't surmounted the learning curve.  I'd like to hear your comments on
this.

I'd also love to see gcc revived, but right now I'm afraid that's something
of a pipe dream...

Josh

--
Joshua Juran                          Metamage Software Creations
=)                                         Tools for Wizards