Re: [MacPerl] MPPE Mailing list

At 18:44 -0700 7/12/1999, Vicki Brown wrote:
>Now I'm beginning to wonder.  Did I ever announce this?!  I can't find a
>note on it in my archives. Could it be that I forgot to invite anyone to
>the party??

If you did, I missed it and I probably would have subscribed.

>Is such a list a good idea?

Well, yes, but...

<RANT>
Frankly, despite all of your hard work, I've yet to see the point in
maintaining separate lists to begin with. I know that Matthias has
the final say and wants the MacPerl list to be MacPerl-centric, but
I'll suggest that it is counter-productive to have more than one list
for Mac users of Perl, whether the threads deal with MacPerl or not,
viz.:

1. Multiple signups for the various lists are a burden for users and you alike.
2. It isn't always clear which list something should go to.
3. There isn't enough collective list traffic to require separate lists.
4. Especially since BBEdit enhanced its MacPerl integration, there is
growing interest in MacPerl. However, this is mostly with a view
towards cgi and the hard, cold fact is that the Mac's share of the
web server market is statistically insignificant now and dropping
into oblivion versus a fairly reasonable presence a few years ago.
5. A swing by
http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/Reports/199907/platform.html will
confirm that NT is also eroding in the internet market, as it has
been since the first of the year . For all intents and purposes, Perl
means unix deployment, regardless of which platform you prefer to
edit and test scripts on.
6. If you accept the proposition that while Perl can do a lot of
things that have nothing to do with cgi, in the Mac world the
overwhelming use of Perl is to do cgi (ultimately on unix servers),
then it seems to me that fragmenting the list into pieces just makes
it harder for people to learn what they actually need to know.
7. Aside from being able to investigate mac-centric issues, the main
advantages of the MacPerl list(s) to me are 1) avoiding the yelping
of Bill's Prisoners, 2) having the benefit of the knowledge of some
Mac people who know a lot more about unix than I do, and 3) generally
interacting with Mac people who are typically pretty laid back and
less inclined to come across as  gasbags than hard-core unix people
are.
</RANT>

So, there it is. I repeat *I appreciate your (Vicki's) efforts to
create and maintain separate lists* but I don't see the payback. My
jaw is set and my flamesuit is donned, so weapons free, fire at will.

Richard Gordon