[MacPerl] MacPerl, DB, and Japanese

To All,

Hello!  I am looking to start a project near and dear to me.  And I am not sure where to start.

My problem is that I want to create a DB that holds 2-byte (Japanese) information.  And so everytime I think I might have a solution. . .I run into problems with off-the-shelf turn-key applications.

Here is briefly what I want to do:
  1. create a relational (possible flat if I have to) DB of Japanese grammar and equivalent English
  2. use Perl to take the entries and parse information to generate HTML pages

My problem is that I am student.  So I want to use what I already own.  You know -- me poor, me eat cheese and dogs alot.

I would use FM to create the database but I only own an English version.  It cannot really handle Japanese.  So I need to create an application to generate the database.  I was thinking of writing it in PERL and using web-forms to entry/modify/delete the information.  Next, I want to write a second PERL script to take the DB and generate HTML files that I can distribute to people for use.  At this point I do not want to generate the HTML files on the fly but instead do it as a batch.

I am not sure what to use to create this database.  I have experience with FM but not too much with SQL, ODBC< JDBC, et cetera.  I do have experiencing create HTML from various sources so the second part of the project should be relatively straight-forward.

Books, online sources, or other you can suggest would be a real help to me.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Ward

------
CFD Laboratory, 318 GUG                http://www.aa.washington.edu/cfdlab
University of Washington
  Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics                     Plasma Physics
  Department of Technical Communications                 Technical Japanese
TEL: +1 (206) 363-6056                                       FAX: +1 (419) 831-7185

http://students.washington.edu/wwv