Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl future, was: README

on 10/24/99 18:00, Rich Lafferty at rich@alcor.concordia.ca wrote:

> This is very unusual -- emacs should understand any of \n, \r,
> and \r\n (unix, mac, windows -- that's "linefeed" \n, not perl) as
> line breaks. If the emacs that comes with OS X doesn't do that, I'd
> recommend building it from pristine sources.

This isn't completely true.  Every "brand"  of emacs I've used gets a little
confused when you try to directly edit a Mac-created text file.  It displays
the \r as a ^M  (control-M) and does not properly interpret them.  This is
easy to fix in emacs, however: just replace all ^M characters with ^J (type
meta-% to go to search and replace mode.  Type ctrl-Q ctrl-M for the search
character, ctrl-Q ctrl-J for the replace character, then hit the ! to do a
global replace).

-Rick