Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl future, was: README

At 7:49 AM -0500 10/25/99, gibson wrote:
>on 10/24/99 18:00, Rich Lafferty at rich@alcor.concordia.ca wrote:
>
> > This is very unusual -- emacs should understand any of \n, \r,
> > and \r\n (unix, mac, windows -- that's "linefeed" \n, not perl) as
> > line breaks. If the emacs that comes with OS X doesn't do that, I'd
> > recommend building it from pristine sources.
>
>This isn't completely true.  Every "brand"  of emacs I've used gets a little
>confused when you try to directly edit a Mac-created text file.

Try a more recent or different "brand".  Modern GNU emacs' are
end-of-line agnostic, and display Mac text files with no problem.
The latest GNU emacs is 20.4,  xemacs, on the other hand, still works
like the GNU emacs of the 19.xx series, displaying the ^M,

>  It displays
>the \r as a ^M  (control-M) and does not properly interpret them.  This is
>easy to fix in emacs, however: just replace all ^M characters with ^J (type
>meta-% to go to search and replace mode.  Type ctrl-Q ctrl-M for the search
>character, ctrl-Q ctrl-J for the replace character, then hit the ! to do a
>global replace).

perl -i.bak -pe 's/\015/\012/g' file_to_convert

--
Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com