Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl installation, folders

At 17.33 -0500 1999.10.25, Matthew Langford wrote:
>One further comment.  In a future download site, can we separate the MPW
>and standalone MacPerls into separate directories?  This would eliminate
>some confusion.  I suspect there may not be a 68K next version, but maybe
>I'm wrong.  If there is, further subdividing the download directories
>would help eliminate confusion even further:
> /68k/cfm68k
> /68k/static-linked-lump
> /ppc/mpw
> /ppc/standalone

Actually, I am in favor of one big installer for everything, that figures
out which is the best version to install, and does it.  And you can go to
Custom Install to select the MPW tool.  Yes, it would be a bigger download,
but most people have fat pipes these days.

Although if that is not doable for size reasons, then I would suggest just
two or three downloads: PPC, 68K, and maybe one more for the tool.  Most
users should not need to select between CFM68K and big 68K, and if they
need to, that is what Custom Install is for.  :)

This all assumes the installer can figure out which to install, which I
imagine it can, but I have no idea how it works (well, a small idea).

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])