Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl installation, folders

In article <v04210109b43b55dc82dc@[171.10.10.117]>, Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com> writes:
> At 17.33 -0500 1999.10.25, Matthew Langford wrote:
>> One further comment.  In a future download site, can we separate the MPW
>> and standalone MacPerls into separate directories?  This would eliminate
>> some confusion.  I suspect there may not be a 68K next version, but maybe
>> I'm wrong.  If there is, further subdividing the download directories
>> would help eliminate confusion even further:
>> /68k/cfm68k
>> /68k/static-linked-lump
>> /ppc/mpw
>> /ppc/standalone

Another possibility would be to put the core distribution in the top level, and
have an add-ons directory for the rest.

> Actually, I am in favor of one big installer for everything, that figures
> out which is the best version to install, and does it.  And you can go to
> Custom Install to select the MPW tool.  Yes, it would be a bigger download,
> but most people have fat pipes these days.

As you might know, I use Installer VISE as the installer for
MacPerl. Mindvision generously made Installer VISE lite free to use for
Shareware authors, but they also have an extremely sophisticated high end
product which can do QuickTime 4-like internet installs (You download a small
installer, specify what you want, and the installer gets the pieces).

When I last checked about 2 years ago, their high end product was not free, but
from their web site, it looks as if this may have changed. IT wouldn't hurt me
to ask, in any case.

> Although if that is not doable for size reasons, then I would suggest just
> two or three downloads: PPC, 68K, and maybe one more for the tool.

I'm currently opposed to separating 68K and PPC installs, because in my
(somewhat dated) administration experience, it was really convenient to have a
single installer from which to install 68K, PPC, and fat, as appropriate (plus,
if you want to make fat standalones, you need a fat application.

Are people feeling that this is no longer a real concern? I'm not exactly in
daily contact with 68K machines anymore.

Matthias

   "I'm set free to find a new illusion" -- Velvet Underground