Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl installation, folders

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Bart Lateur wrote:

> Can we not reverse the process? Strip what you don't need from an
> installed MacPerl? I'm thinking of a small app which would throw away
> from the MacPerl executable, what you don't need.

  Such apps already exist.  There's the freeware I Love Native! at
<http://www.dragonone.com/pages/softwarepages/native.htm> as well as Fat
App Slimmer which is a part of Aladdin System's Spring Cleaning
<http://www.aladdinsys.com/springcleaning/>.  There probably are a lot
more lurking out there.

> I'm not really sure it would actually make the executable smaller. It
> could be that the empty space in the resource fork is just, well, empty.
> The resource fork would need to be compacted.

  It does make the files smaller.  I have used I Love Native! on my 68K
Mac at home.

  If people want to turn a FAT MacPerl app into a smaller native app, the
tools exist out there.  But having a FAT MacPerl be the default is
probably a good idea, especially for the people who build standalone
applications.

Andy

Andy Berkvam          | "This is not a black and white world.
                      |  You can't afford to believe in your side."
Email:                |                        - The Beauty of Gray by Live
 aberkvam@coredcs.com |
 (MIME Attachments OK)|-WWW Pages: <http://www.coredcs.com/~aberkvam/>