Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl installation, folders

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:30:36 -0700, Larry F. Allen-Tonar wrote:

>I think a 'fat' MacPerl is still a good idea, as there is at least one
>local network with both 68K and PPC machines on it.

>At 11:07 PM +0200 10/26/99, Matthias Neeracher wrote:
>
>>I'm currently opposed to separating 68K and PPC installs, because in my
>>(somewhat dated) administration experience, it was really convenient to have a
>>single installer from which to install 68K, PPC, and fat, as appropriate
>>(plus,
>>if you want to make fat standalones, you need a fat application.
>Yup. Yup. Yup.

Can we not reverse the process? Strip what you don't need from an
installed MacPerl? I'm thinking of a small app which would throw away
from the MacPerl executable, what you don't need.

If I understand the matter correctly, 68k code is in a resource in the
Resource Fork, and, PPC code resides in the data fork (probably with
some flag in the executable, somewhere, that this is indeed PPC code).
Now, stripping a resource by code is feasable, clearing the data fork
definitely is.

I'm not really sure it would actually make the executable smaller. It
could be that the empty space in the resource fork is just, well, empty.
The resource fork would need to be compacted.

Please correct any thinko's. :-)

--
	Bart.