Re: [MacPerl] Re: [MacPerl-WebCGI] Another 'Windows' query...

At 12:36 AM +0100 11/19/99, Axel Rose wrote:
>DHCP is simplified just a way to ask a server for an IP address.
>I don't know exactly what the result is if the Mac already got an address
>and VPC asks for another address for the same ethernet card.
>I assume though the PC just gets no address. Check it with "winipcfg".
>You have to manually set a new IP address in VPC. Forget DHCP. Just
>care for two unique IP addresses.
>
>But I believe there is simply no chance with VPC2.
>VPC 2 can't handle two different IP addresses which is neccessary
>for the Web server test environment you're looking for. (as far as I know)

DHCP IP's are handed out based on the media access control (MAC, no
relation to a Mac) address.  These are (usually) hardcoded on the
network card itself.  before VPC 3 a DHCP request from VPC would have
the same MAC address as the MacOS and get the same IP back, this
would result in a duplicate IP situation (although in a really
strange way since both IP's are on the same physical machine, just 2
different OS's).  VPC 3 (I think I'm still using VPC 2) allows both
the Mac and the PC side to have the same IP (they probably do this in
a similar way to IP Masquerading on Linux).

Under any case, versions prior to VPC 3 will work with 2 different
IP's (1 for the MacOS, 1 for VPC), but since the second IP can't be
assigned via DHCP (or BootP) it must be hardcoded.  This does work, I
do this on my network just fine.  However my web server is on a
seperate box so I haven't tested looping mac to the MacOS side to hit
a web server (I have done ping tests).  Can't see why it wouldn't
work.

What IP to use depends on how you're setup.  If you MacOS address is
being assigned via an ISP, you may need to request another address
from them (this will usually cost $).

If this is on a network use an address in the same subnet as the
MacOS side that isn't in use (if it isn't your network -- ask the
sysadmin first).

I have an old 7200 I'm using as a Masquerade box.  My network sits in
the 192.168.1.x subnet because this is a subnet that won't appear on
the internet (it's reserved for computers behind NAT and Masquerade
IP translators).
I hardcode both my MacOS and VPC (Win 98) addresses with no problems.
Someday I'll get around to setting up a DHCP on one of my Linux
boxes, but with only 6 IP's to manage it isn't a big deal.

Kevin