[MacPerl] recording MacPerl's speech

I'm looking for a better way to record MacPerl's talking/singing in order
to provide samples of the programs on
http://www.macperl.com/Depts/Code/_seay/. This way folks without Macs (like
my brother), or folks without MacPerl installed (like my other brother),
could at least hear the results.

I experimented with SimpleText and several freeware sound programs but was
not able to record MacPerl's singing.

I ran a cord from my PowerComputing 604 120 mhz's "speaker out jack" to its
"microphone in jack" expecting feedback, but there was none. It worked.
Problem is my computer is too slow. MacPerl's singing gets sluggish when
I'mrecording with another program.

Is there a way with MacPerl to initiate the recording process without
having to involve a second application to record?

If so...
  - Can MacPerl simultaneously speak and record?
  - Can you control sample rate, number of channels, and bit rate?
  - What file format is produced?

The smaller the resulting file the better.

Thanks,

David Seay
http://www.mastercall.com/g-s/