Re: [MacPerl] Re: End to 'Newbie list question'... (25Apr00)

On 4/25/2000 at 4:03 PM, kazemori@earthlink.net (Keith Trenton) wrote:

> All in all, "Perl for Dummies" is not bad. Which is too say I bought
> it...

>From the aforementioned tchrist reviews:

    http://www.perl.com/pub/language/critiques/

    Perl5 For Dummies
    by Paul E. Hoffman

    CAPSULE REVIEW: Barely achieving its two camels, this book is
    not only made for dummies, it's guaranteed to keep you one.
    But hey, if you like to have your competence and intelligence
    insulted everywhere from the title to the text, then this is
    the book for you. This book can't figure out the difference
    between an array and a list, thinks there's a \v escape,
    screws up the CGI form decoding (why does everyone do this?),
    doesn't understand the difference between programs and
    libraries, massively screws up quoting on Win32 paths, spreads
    FUD about $_, omits $!, and relegates the true heart and soul
    of Perl, pattern matching and hashes, way to the end, in the
    chapters 14 and 15 respectively. So, it's technically screwed
    up, has hard-to-read style, does nearly everything the hard
    way, hides the good stuff where you won't find it, and likes
    to put its reader down. Even more so, it revels in showing
    disrespect to anyone who seems to enjoy or be good at
    programming. Perhaps this makes dummies feel good.

  -nat