Re: [MacPerl] UTF8 conversion

>I had implemented them as closures, but using those in your own
>code turned out to be not so trivial.

Probably a stupid question, but what's a closure? (just point me to pod
or whatever.)

>  for my $c (0, 128 .. 255) {
>      $encode{chr $c} = UTF8::chr($c);
>  }
>         s/([\000\200-\377])/$encode{$1}/g;

And I was just going to think this would be beyond simple character
substitution. Silly me. I assume this will work the same in UTF-16
enabled Perl?

Does Perl have a way to build a structure that would look in C like the
following? (It defines the elements of a sort of sparse array.)

typedef struct translationElement_s
{    short lookNextLevel;
     unsigned char value;
     struct translationElement_s * nextLevel;     // next level
translation array
} translationElement_s;

If so, is there a way to stuff such a table into an RE like the above?

At any rate, I have been assuming that all the talk about Perl supporting
UNICODE refers to UTF-16, and I am wondering if anyone here knows what
kind of preparation is in the works for taking Perl beyond UTF-16.

Perhaps I should post this question to another list?

Joel Rees
                       Keeping the Faith
<joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
<http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/joel_rees>