[MacPerl] Emulating AS-like properties in Perl

I'd like to have something like properties from AppleScript in
(Mac)Perl, i.e. variable values that are saved across executions of a
script, preferably without having to use a preferences file.
How should I go about it?

Writing to the __DATA__ block of the script file? Probably dangerous,
if possible. (Can a script/droplet know the path to itself?)
Can I make the MacPerl app remember the value in an environment variable?
If I have to use a preferences file, what is the best way to implement it?

Any suggestions/snippets/pointers are welcome.

__Peter Hartmann ________

mailto:hphartmann@justmail.de