Re: [MacPerl] Filemaker Pro DB

Um 17:42 Uhr -0400 12.09.2000, schrieb Chris Nandor:
>At 23:19 +0200 2000.09.12, Axel Rose wrote:
>>OTH you may have to struggle with AppleScript or AppleEvents.
>>It's hard, I know, but is supported and quite fast.
>
>Well, Mac::Glue isn't hard (for the most part).
>
>  my $finder = new Mac::Glue 'Finder';
>  my $fm = new Mac::Glue 'FileMaker Pro';
>
>  $finder->open($finder->obj(file => $file));
>  my $db = $fm->obj(database => 1);
>  my @fields = $fm->get( $fm->prop(name => fields => $db) );
>  my @data = $fm->get( $fm->obj(records => $db) );
>  for my $record (@data) {
>     print join(", ", @$record), "\n";
>  }

Only speaking for myself:
It's hard for me. I have to find out which object methods there
are (obj, get, prop), when to use them and which various parameters
(name=>fields=>$db, records=>$db, ...) they require.
This process takes some time even after reading the good documentation.
Learning get's even harder if you have e.g. a Cumulus database where
you must experiment.

Database access from MacPerl would be very handy for CGIs. OTOH MacPerl
CGIs aren't robust enough for use in a production environment.
Furthermore they are too slowly if you haven't got a speedup by
a persistent interpreter process, SpeedyCGI for instance.

Another question which comes to my mind (offtopic):
Has anyone on the list successfully used Mac based Java servlets to
access say FileMaker Pro? WebStar as well as QPQ support Java servlets.

>I am about ready to release Mac::Glue 1.0.0

Great news!
I like the new scheme putting modules on sourceforge.net.

Have a nice day

Axel