Re: [MacPerl] Converting a page of text into a bitmap

David Micklem wrote:

> Dear MacPerl-gurus,
>
> I hope this is the right one of the MacPerl forums...
>
> I've written a script which I use to convert between a propriety
> graphics format (Biorad confocal microscope files) and multilayer
> Photoshop files.
>
> The script works OK but is pretty slow, and one of the slowest bits
> is the assembly of an 'information layer' that I put in the
> background layer of the photoshop file.
>
> Basically, what I need to do is convert a bunch of text into a
> bitmap.

I'm thinking that clip2gif could do this. It's AppleScriptable, and can be
used to "set type" in most any font, color, and size, saving the output as a
GIF or PICT file. Also handles many other useful drawing and graphics
conversion tasks.

Looks like Yves Piguet, the author, stopped work on it several years ago, and
a number of the usual freeware sites seem no longer to carry it. Latest
released version was 0.7.2.1, IIRC. zdnet has 0.7.2: <
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,MC11335,.html> The software is
highly regarded and bug-free in  my experience. Worth a look.

Steve Hirby

[...]