[MacPerl-Modules] cpan-mac won't install XML::Parser::Expat?

I'm a newbie with Perl and MacPerl, and I'm trying to make a Perl script
that parses XML.  I'm using MacPerl 5.1 on a Mac 7300/180 with System 8.5.1.

I'm using cpan-mac (1.50) to install XML-Parser (2.24) from the CPAN.  This
installs the module XML::Parser, which needs the module XML::Parser::Expat.

When I use cpan-mac and say 'install XML::Parser', it downloads the full
.cpan for XML::Parser, and installs the pre-made Perl module Parser.pm.  If
I have 'require XML::Parser' in a Perl script I am told that the Perl
compiler "can't locate XML/Parser/Expat.pm in @INC" -- this seems right,
since I haven't installed the Expat module yet.

When I use cpan-mac and say 'install XML::Parser::Expat', cpan-mac
downloads the full .cpan for both XML::Parser and XML::Parser::Expat, and
installs XML::Parser where Perl can find it ({MACPERL}site_perl:...), but
does not install anything at all for Expat.

I've tried several different things in cpan (make, force, get and others)
but nothing seems to install Expat.  I've also tried manually putting
Expat.pm (which is in the .cpan sources) in the right place, but the script
still won't run because then it says:

"Can't find loadable object for module XML::Parser::Expat in @INC"

I can't find this error message in my Programming Perl (O'Reilly), or in
any documentation (I'm getting very familiar with Shuck, that's for sure).
This error message seems to be related to a Perl line in Expat.pm:
'bootstrap XML::Parser::Expat $VERSION'.

More info, just in case it's important: when cpan-mac installs
XML::Parser::Expat, I get two 'use of uninitialized variables' in
:Mac:Types.pm Line 56.  These lines appear:

.
.
Fetching with LWP:
  ftp://ftp. etc etc
<two errors of uninitialized variables as described above>
Going to read ... .txt.gz
.
.

I also get an 'use of uninitialized value / File 'MakeFile.PL' line 17:

.
.
  CPAN.pm: Going to build C/CO/COOPERCL/XML-Parser-2.24.tar.gz

# Use of uninitialized value
File ':Makefile.PL'; Line 17
Checking to see if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile.mk for XML::Parser::Expat
Writing Makefile.mk for XML::Parser
.
.
<then it calls mkdir a buch and copies all the XML::Parser files, but none
of the XML::Parser::Expate files>.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Rudi

Rudi Sherry