Re: [MacPerl-Porters] Configure.MPW now available in repackaged format(s)

At 10:36 PM -0400 5/13/00, Larry Moore wrote:
>At 16:20 -0500 13/05/2000, Matthew Langford wrote:
>>
>>A little side note:  maybe it's just me, but the perl distribution seems
>>pretty crowded in the main directory.  All the different port platform
>>dirs, a half dozen different revision docs, a scattering of header files,
>>plus a few std-to-perl directories (t,pod,lib,etc).  A little busy for my
>>taste.  I'm glad I don't have to work in the source from day to day.
>>

>I'm wondering what the memory demands of this project will max out at?  The
>MPW. Interface&Libraries, MacPerl now total over 150Meg. Add in a 70 Meg
>Virtual Memory partition - a 350Meg HD starts looking crowded. I have a
>spare slot and another (possibly good) small drive that could be added, but
>would like to know what to plan for.

Clearly, for an increase in size as time goes by.  Take a look at
Sarathy's directory at CPAN and list it in time order, latest first.
But the current MacPerl 5.6 build shouldn't get much larger.

My own :src:MacPerl folder is currently 60 Mb.  Of course, it's on an
HFS+ partition.

Then again, 18 Gb SCSI drives are down to around $400, and IDE drives
are cheaper, so probably no one considers saving space that important
any more except people using legacy machines.  (My old PB 165 has a
160 Mb drive, and over the years I've had to pare it down to nothing
but essential software.)

>Thanks.
>

>---
>"the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can
>suppose" -  Haldane
>Larry Moore  Fergus On Canada N1M 1V7 ljmoore@freespace.net
>http://freespace.net/~ljmoore/Larry_resume.html

Paul Schinder