Re: [MacPerl-Porters] Configure.MPW now available in repackaged format(s)

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Matthew Langford wrote:

> On Sat, 13 May 2000, Paul Schinder wrote:
>
> > The way I read Matthias' directions, these folders should be in the
> > MacPerl folder, so perl-5.6.0, db, and XL are all on the same level,
> > one level above macos.
>
> I would think so, too, because one hopes to be able to swap out perl-5.6.0
> with at least perl-5.6.x and maybe perl-5.x.x, without doing anything to
> db and XL.  Or conversely, putting in new versions of db and XL without
> disturbing the std Perl.  Perhaps one day the "macos" subdirectory will
> come built into the std Perl distribution (in addition to "macosx" or
> "rhapsody" or whatever it gets called)?

There should probably at the least be a :macos:README.html file in an
upcoming release of perl.  I'll modify Configure.MPW real soon now...

> A little side note:  maybe it's just me, but the perl distribution seems
> pretty crowded in the main directory.  All the different port platform
> dirs, a half dozen different revision docs, a scattering of header files,
> plus a few std-to-perl directories (t,pod,lib,etc).  A little busy for my
> taste.  I'm glad I don't have to work in the source from day to day.

As Larry Moore pointed out you can get rid of a bunch of dl_$osname.xs
files.  At the time I neglected to mention that you could also save space
by deleting everything inside the :hints: folder, the :win32: folder,
the :os2: folder and the :vms: folder (as well as others).

Peter Prymmer