Re: gmtime(0)has a problem ? (Was: Re: [MacPerl] "Epoch-makingdifference"--time())

At 10:56 4/7/96, Matthias Ulrich Neeracher wrote:
>At 08:15 96.04.06, John W. Baxter wrote:
>> It also looks as if the Japanese(?) MacOS you are using differs from the US
>> 7.5.3 I'm running...I get
>> 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 4, 5, 0, 0
>
>This has nothing to do with OS versions. Dan is simply sitting on a different
>side of the date line from you. For those of us to the east of Greenwhich,
>gmtime(0) (which is based on localtime) wraps around and gives wrong results.
>
>I will correct this for the next release, which is well underway.

Hmmm...bad diagnosis on my part.

(It's somewhat unusual for the developer's side of such a line to be
treated wrongly, and the other side correctly, so it didn't occur to me!
But the code is somewhat easy to visualize, particularly since I've
produced two different Frontier scripts for day of the week, one of which
messes up Jan 1 and Jan 2 1904, and the other messes up about 5 days in
February, 2040, for much the same reason.  I use the former script, rather
than dealing with the slowdown which fixing it would cause.)

   --John

  --
   Each day is a gift.  That's why we call today "the present."
jwbaxter@olympus.net (John W. Baxter)  Port Ludlow, WA, USA