Re: [MacPerl] downloading MAC Perl ...

On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Tushar Desai wrote:
> I'm trying to download (March 13th version of) Mac Perl from the ftp
> site at UIUC using the Netscape browser on my Mac Centris 660AV (system 7).
> While downloading the file, it shows me a message "Will open with Mac
>BinaryII+"
> But after downlaoding it says it could not find Mac Binary||+. I searched
> and indeed didn't find any Mac BinaryII+ on my machine. (What is MAc
Binary||+?)

MacBinary II+ is a program to encode/decode MacBinary II files written by
Peter Lewis. Netscape, by default, tries to use this as its MacBinary
helper, but Stuffit Expander will decode it as well. Just change your
Netscape preferences. (And if you saved the download, just drop it onto
Stuffit Expander.)

> My question is , is there a Binhex compressed version of Mac PErl available
> somewhere? Please let me know asap.

Yes. Paul Schinder (whose name I'm quite probably misspelling) has a
mirror site <URL:ftp://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl/Applications/> with
Bin-Hexed versions of MacPerl 4.1.8 and latest release of MacPerl 5.

> Is there any other way to download Mac Perl?

Well, you could always use a *real* FTP client like Fetch which'll
automagically decode most stuff. d:)

-Dave

Big Dave Schmitt        University of Md Baltimore County   (__)
Math major / CS minor / UCS Client Services                 (oo)------\
dschmi1@umbc.edu        http://umbc.edu/%7Edschmi1/          \/      | \
Don't blame UMBC or UCS for the opinions stated above.        ||---w||  *