Re: [MacPerl] Which Book ?....

Terence Joseph Mallon writes (a message received 19-JUL-1996 14:01:15.81):

>Hello everyone,
>
>Can someone please help me.
>
>I am looking for a book to purchase on learning the Perl language but have
>not been able to find any locally. Which book would you recommend, why, and
>where can I purchase it via mail order and if at all possible how much.....

For just getting familiar with the language "Learning Perl" by Randall Schwartz
is OK - unfortunately many of the (other wise fine & illuminating) examples are
rather Unixy in nature & do not translate well into the MacPerl dialect.

The authoritative book on Perl4 is "Programming Perl" by Schwartz & Wall. I
think that this is still an excellent purchase for learning especially if you
are already reasonably familiar with (virtually any) another programming
language. Unfortunately, this book is due to be superceded by the "New Camel"
come this September (which goes into object-oriented perl5 subjects).

There are a number of web references to perlbooks - including:

 http://w4.lns.cornell.edu/~pvhp/ptk/qna6.html (*)

Peter Prymmer
pvhp@lns62.lns.cornell.edu

(*) And here is an html -> text translation of the relevant portions of that
    document:

=cut

Perl Specific Documentation

There are a growing number Perl books[58] available. A more complete
Perl-bibliographic discussion than that given here is available in the Perl
FAQ[59] at:

    http://www.perl.com/perl/faq/Q2.2.html[60]

or at:

    http://www.perl.com/perl/info/books.html[61]

The two early Perl books by Schwartz and Wall are very helpful (even if they do
pertain to perl 4 and not 5. Beware that perl/Tk makes extensive use of perl
5[62] object-oriented[63] features.):

     *Learning Perl*[64] (The Llama[65])
     Randal L. Schwartz[66]
     Copyright (c) 1993  O'Reilly & Associates Inc.[67]
     ISBN 1-56592-042-2 (English)
     ISBN 2-84177-005-2 (French)
     ISBN 3-930673-08-8 (German)
     ISBN 4-89502-678-1 (Japanese)

     *Programming Perl*[68] (The Camel[69])
     Larry Wall and Randal L. Schwartz
     Copyright (c) 1991  O'Reilly & Associates Inc.[70]
      ISBN 0-937175-64-1 (English)[71]
     ISBN 3-446-17257-2 (German) (Programmieren in Perl, translator:
     Hanser Verlag)
     ISBN 4-89052-384-7 (Japanese)

For Perl 5 there will be an update to the Camel ("*Learning More Perl*"? the
Alpaca? the "New Camel"?) in preparation by Randal L. Schwartz[72], Tom
Christiansen[73], Larry Wall, and Stephen Potter[74], with a draft due at
O'Reilly - *real soon now*.

     *Programming Perl 5*[75]
      Larry Wall, Randal L. Schwartz, ~et al.~[76]
     1996 (est.)  O'Reilly & Associates Inc.[77]
     ISBN 1-56592-149-6; Order number: 1496 (English)

There is also some Perl5 (book material) information at:

    http://www.metronet.com/1h/perlinfo/perl5/[78]

Jon Orwant (the organizer of the comp.lang.perl.tk[79] newgroup) will have a
book on Perl 5 out in early 1996. (Please note that it is mostly about Perl 5,
there is a some discussion of four simple Perl/Tk programs, but it is not a
book wholly devoted to Perl/Tk.) The relevant info:

     *Perl 5 Interactive*
     Jon Orwant[80]
     The Waite Group Press[81]
     ISBN: 1-57169-064-6

The *Perl 5 Quick Reference Guide*[82] (may require *LaTeX* for installation)
can be obtained from any CPAN ftp site[83]. Detailed location information is
also available at the author's website:

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~jvromans/perlref.html[84]

The *quick reference guide* has also been turned into a small Nutshell
handbook:

     *Perl 5 Desktop Reference*[85]
     Johan[86] Vromans[87]
     Copyright (c) February 1996 O'Reilly & Associates Inc.[88]
     ISBN: 1-56592-187-9; Order number: 1879

Additional book information may be found at Tom Christiansen's perl & cgi books
page[89]. The multi-part perl 5 man pages are available (assuming they have
been installed in your `MANPATH', type `man perl', `man perlmod' ~etc.~).

The perl man pages are also available on the web at a number of locations
including:

World Wide Web - perl 5.002 man pages
 (also very useful for previous versions of perl 5)
  Czech Republic
    http://infog.eunet.cz/~muaddib/perl5/index.html
  Finland
    http://www.hut.fi/~jhi/perl5/index.html