Re: [MacPerl] Docs on extensions to MacPerl....

At 11:42 11.18.96 John Kelly <kellyj@advtech.uswest.com> said:

<...>

>What would be really helpful is a little README.Compile that had a list of
>all the add-ons that we need, where to get them, where to put them, and
>a list of MPW/CodeWarrior actions necessary to get the distribution to
>compile.

FWIW, awhile back I posted an inquiry about running 'make' in
MPW. Matthias (or someone?) replied with a recipe for doing a
full build...which, unfortunately, is on my machine at home,
right now. Pretty sure, however, that the source distribution
of the MacPerl application includes the list of ingredients.

I recall that most all of the stuff can be found at either

    <ftp://err.ethz.ch//pub/neeri/>

    or

    <ftp://ftp.switch.ch/software/mac/perl/>

...but there was one thing that I had to get at Info-Mac, in /dev.

But yes, a step-by-step description for doing a build would be nice.
Nothing too detailed--no sense in spending time teaching MPW <ack>--
just a simple: 1) download the source, 2) put it in this directory,
3) create this file, 4) edit that file, 5) add this path, 6) type
this, 7) do this command, and 8) Badda-bing! You've got yourself
a MacPerl...

Okay, okay, so this example's a bit simplistic. Hopefully, if
you're thinking about building an application in MPW, you either
have unlimited access to a good book (I know CW10 includes at
least one, in .pdf) or you can work with quicky instructions that
assume (at least) partial knowledge of MPW.

Cheers

-tpg

_._

Tim Guinn                  | guinn@mail.utexas.edu